Take Control by Planning Ahead
Unsure how to predict what is next? It is tempting to put planning on hold. Unfortunately, loose ends can lead to future stress and rash decisions.
Planning under normal circumstances allows you to slow down and consider your options. Taking the time to be mindful when creating an estate plan gives you the opportunity to support causes you believe in while making sure your wishes are followed. A thoughtful estate plan can also tell your story through the causes you support after your lifetime.
A well-planned estate helps you:
- Make the most of your assets. Meeting with qualified professionals helps you grow your wealth over the long term.
- Protect family and loved ones. An up-to-date estate plan gives you the security of knowing your loved ones will be provided for in the future. Reviewing it regularly means adjusting for changes in personal relationships, tax laws, births, deaths, and state of residence.
- Be tax smart. Planning helps you to potentially avoid or lower the taxes your family members may have to pay on their inherited assets.
- Continue to give hope and healing after your lifetime. Including a gift to Memorial Sloan Kettering in your plans may provide you with financial benefits while giving you the fulfillment that comes from helping people facing cancer.
Build an Expert Team
If you are ready to start planning your future, be sure to consult the experts. Having an estate planning attorney and financial advisor helps you make sure your estate plan will achieve your goals.
Be sure the following are part of your plan:
- A will and possibly a revocable living trust.
- A durable power of attorney for financial and legal matters.
- A health care power of attorney or health care proxy for medical care decisions.
- A living will or advance directive to articulate your wishes concerning life-sustaining measures.
- Beneficiary designations for life insurance, retirement plan assets, donor-advised funds, and commercial annuities.
We Can Help
By planning your estate now, you can ensure your loved ones are provided for while also fueling tomorrow’s most promising cancer research. Contact the Office of Planned Giving at 8800-688-1827 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about how to remember MSK in your plans.