A donor-advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, gives you the flexibility to recommend how much and how often money is granted to MSK and other charities.
You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You qualify for an income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location.
You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted. The fund administrator has an obligation to deny grants that do not meet criteria established by law.* A significant benefit of the donor-advised fund is that it is less expensive than managing a private foundation.
Two Ways to Donate From Your Donor-Advised Fund
- Recommend a grant—You can recommend that your donor-advised funds are used to support MSK. It’s easy to do. Contact your fund administrator to request a distribution form or download the form from your administrator’s website and recommend that funds be distributed to MSK.
- Create a legacy—To continue your support after your lifetime, name MSK as a beneficiary/successor of your account. Or you can designate MSK to receive a portion of the account value. The remaining balance can be managed by your loved ones to continue your legacy of giving.
For more information on setting up a donor-advised fund to support MSK’s research and care, please contact the Office of Planned Giving at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-688-1827 today.
*Recommendations that do not meet legal criteria include those that are not charitable in nature; provide a direct benefit to the donor, donor advisor, or a related party; or are directed to an individual. Grants also cannot be used to redeem a personal pledge.
- Contact our Office of Planned Giving staff at 800-688-1827 or email@example.com to discuss using donor-advised funds to support Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK)'s research and care.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values, and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization’s policies and procedures—from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- If you include MSK in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Address: 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065
Federal Tax ID Number: 13-1924236