Charitable Lead Trust
Preserve Intergenerational Wealth
A charitable lead trust is an irrevocable trust designed to reduce the taxes on the assets eventually transferred to your loved ones. A percentage of the trust's value is donated to MSK for a specified period of time. At the end of the trust's term, the remainder is passed on as directed to children, grandchildren, or others. In addition:
- The gift qualifies for gift or estate tax savings based on the current value of the income paid to MSK over the trust term. (Consult your legal and tax advisors for more information about your possible tax savings.)
- Any appreciation in assets during the term of the trust, while subject to potential capital gains tax, is not subject to gift or estate tax at the trust's termination.
- You provide crucial support to the ongoing mission of MSK while also making sure your family is taken care of after your lifetime.
- Enjoy membership and special benefits as part of the Cullum Society.
A charitable lead trust can make payments in one of two ways:
- Charitable Lead Annuity Trust. This type of trust pays a fixed amount each year to MSK and is more attractive when interest rates are low.
- Charitable Lead Unitrust. A less common choice, this type of trust pays a variable amount each year based on the value of the assets in the trust.
- Charitable lead trusts are particularly attractive if you anticipate your estate may be subject to federal estate taxes.
- Request personalized lead trust calculations from our Office of Planned Giving staff that illustrate the possible tax benefits.
Toll free: 800-688-1827
- Seek the counsel of your financial or legal advisor.
- Please use our legal name, address, and Federal Tax ID if incorporating MSK into your plans:
Legal Name: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Address: 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065
Federal Tax ID Number: 13-1924236